When you feel that cough coming on, you reach for that bottle of over-the-counter cough medicine. But what about those cough drops your parents stocked in the medicine cabinet? These little guys have a shelf life, and sometimes they even start to get a little funky. So, can you eat expired cough drops? Cough medicines typically don’t have any time limit on their availability. However, most of them come in small bottles and sometimes you might not even realize how old they are until it’s too late. That’s why it’s always best to check the expiration date before stocking the medicine cabinet with cough drops. If they do expire before their time, then it would be best to throw them away so others don’t end up getting sick from them as well. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your sweet stash of cough drops until the last drop!
Can You Eat Expired Cough Drops?
No, cough drops that have expired should not be eaten because they may contain harmful bacteria that could make you sick. Cough drops should be discarded in a sealed container or carton and thrown away.
What Causes Cough Drops To Expire?
- Exposure to heat: Heat can break down the flavorings and the colors in cough drops.
- If they are exposed to high temperatures, they will begin to lose their taste and color.
- Exposure to humidity: Humidity can also cause cough drops to expire.
- Cough drops that have been exposed to high humidity levels will begin to stick together, making them difficult for you or your children to use.
- Exposure to sunlight: The sun’s rays can alter the flavor of cough drops as well as cause them to lose their color over time.
What Is The Disadvantage Of Eating Expired Cough Drops?
- Cough drops that have expired may cause sickness and stomach upset.
- They may contain harmful bacteria that could make you sick.
- They may not be as effective if taken after the expiration date has passed.
- They are not regulated by the FDA, so their safety is questionable after the expiration date has passed and there is no guarantee how long they will last before expiring or going bad.
- If you don’t know how long they’ve been in your drawer, it’s best to throw them out just in case because you never know what could happen to them while sitting around for a long period of time before being used again!
What Is An Advantage Of Eating Expired Cough Drops?
- You don’t have to spend money on cough medicine all the time if you have some on hand!
- It’s convenient to keep them around for when someone needs them!
- They taste good!
- You don’t have to worry about them going bad if you keep them in the refrigerator!
- You can use expired cough drops as a sweet treat for yourself or for someone else!
- When you’re sick, sometimes the best medicine is a sweet treat that makes you feel better!
How Can You Eat Expired Cough Drops?
- Cough drops can be eaten at home.
- You can eat expired cough drops if you are traveling and have forgotten to take your medicine.
- You can eat expired cough drops if you have forgotten to dispose of them on time, and don’t want others to get sick from them.
- You can eat expired cough drops if you have run out of the medicine and are in need of it.
- You can eat expired cough drops if you have no other option to get rid of them, and don’t want to throw them away.
What To Do If You Forgot To Throw Away Expired Cough Drops?
- Throw away expired cough drops at the earliest.
- If you have forgotten to throw away expired cough drops, then you can take them for yourself.
- If you have forgotten to throw away expired cough drops, then you can give them to someone else who is in need of it.
- If you have forgotten to throw away expired cough drops, then you can dispose of them in a dustbin.
- If you have forgotten to throw away expired cough drops, then you can flush them down the toilet.
How Can Prevent Expired Cough Drops?
Keep your cough drops from going bad
If you’ve opened the bag of your cough drops, you should keep them from going bad by: – Keeping the opened bag in a cool dry place. Freezer or refrigerator are both good options. – Opening the bag and re-sealing the top with an air-tight lid. – Making sure that the bag is completely open and dry before refraining from using it. – Avoid letting them sit out in the open where other people or pests can get to them. – Avoid exposing your cough drops to direct sunlight. – Don’t open the bag and stir them into a glass of water, spoon them into syrup or other liquid containers.
Store your cough drops correctly
To keep your cough drops from going bad, you need to keep them sealed in an air-tight container. Air and moisture will cause bacteria to go bad much quicker. There are a variety of containers that you can use to store your cough drops. Paper or plastic bags are handy, but do not keep the cough drops from going bad. Vacuum-sealed bags are the best, because they provide even pressure throughout the bag and are more resistant to moisture and oxygen. Paper or plastic bags keep the cough drops free from dust, but are not airtight, which is why they will go bad sooner than vacuum-sealed bags. Store bags of cough drops in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and high heat, such as near a heater or air conditioner.
Use a humidifier in your home
Humidity can cause your cough drops to go bad much quicker. A humidifier is a great way to increase the humidity in your home, which will keep your cough drops from spoiling. Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. It typically ranges between 30% and 60% relative humidity. High levels of relative humidity—above 90%—cause deterioration of sensitive items, like medicines, while low levels—below 30%—cause the air to be too dry, which is harmful to human health. The ideal humidity for storing cough drops is between 50% and 60%. If you don’t have access to a hygrometer or don’t know what humidity is in your home, it’s best to keep your home humidity lower than 60%. Keeping your home humidity at 50% or below will keep your cough drops from going bad before they expire.
Properly dispose of unused cough drops
If you’re not going to use up all of the cough drops in your container, you should properly dispose of them. It is recommended to throw away the container in which they were purchased, and to dispose of the wrappers in the garbage. Cough drops wrappers are made of a material that can be easily mistaken for garbage. If you put the wrappers in your trash, they will decay and potentially create harmful gasses inside your trash can, which could be dangerous to humans and animals alike. If you do not properly dispose of your cough drops, they can cause problems in your home, such as causing a bad odor or attracting insects. These problems can be resolved by properly disposing of them. It is recommended that you clean out your trash can and empty it of the contents at least once a week, or when you notice that it smells bad or there are dead insects inside.
The Last Line
Cough drops are a necessity in many people’s lives, and many people would go without them if it weren’t for the convenience of having them on hand. Many people also use them to help with their colds, allergies and other ailments. When it comes to using cough drops, there are a few things you should keep in mind when storing them, as well as how to dispose of unused cough drops properly.
Q: How do I store cough drops?
- The best way to store cough drops is to keep them in a container that is airtight and protected from light, heat and moisture. Cough drop containers should be placed in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. The best way to store your cough drops is by placing them in an airtight container, such as a jar or pill bottle. If you want to make sure that the cough drops are protected from heat and moisture, you can wrap them inside of aluminum foil.
Q: How long do cough drops last?
- Cough drop containers should be used within two years after they have been purchased—after this point, the ingredients will begin to deteriorate. If you need your cough drops for longer than two years, it’s best to transfer them into an airtight container rather than using the original packaging. There are no expiration dates on the bottles of cough drop containers; however, most manufacturers recommend that their products be used before they expire. However, if you’re not sure when your cough drop containers will expire, it’s best to throw them away after two years have passed because they may have already expired by then due to degradation of their ingredients.