Nintendo’s hybrid console has proven to be a smash hit. In just over six months, the Nintendo Switch has sold almost 20 million units. And with massive games like Smash Bros and Pokemon on the way, that number is unlikely to slow down anytime soon. The Switch’s success has also led to a renewed interest in its predecessor, the Wii U. Released back in 2012, Nintendo’s seventh home console struggled to find its niche among gamers hungry for new experiences from Sony’s PS4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One. However, with the Switch now able to play some Wii U games as well as having access to their Virtual Console library, there are plenty of good reasons for a second look at Nintendo’s previous console. Are you interested in playing Wii games on Switch? Let’s check it out!
Can You Play Wii Games On Switch?
Yes. You can play most Wii games on the Switch, but some games may be region-locked. There are also certain games that are not playable on the Switch at all. The list of Wii games that are playable on the Switch is available here.
What Is The Wii?
The Wii is Nintendo’s sixth home console. It was released in 2006 and went on to become the best-selling home console of all time. It sold over 100 million units, making it one of the most successful pieces of technology ever created. The Wii’s motion-sensitive controller, called the Wii Remote, is one of its most famous features. The console didn’t use the same online infrastructure as the Xbox 360 and PS3, meaning it was cheaper to maintain and operate. The Wii is backward compatible with old Wii games and Wii accessories, including the Wii Remote and Wii Balance Board. It also has a Virtual Console service that lets you play games from old systems on the Wii.
How To Play Wii Games On The Switch?
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using a Wii console and a Wii Remote. You can also play games from the Virtual Console on your Wii U via the internet, but you’ll need to use an old-school controller, such as a Wii Classic Controller.
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using either a TV or handheld mode. This is called docked mode. In this mode, you’ll have access to all of your game saves, controllers, and other settings that you have on your system.
- You can also play Wii games in handheld mode while docked on your TV, but it is not ideal for playing long-term because there are no controllers or game saves available that way.
- There are some special cases when you can’t use one of these methods to play a game: Nintendo Land: There are no online multiplayer modes for this title at the moment, so it will not work with the Switch. You’ll need to play in handheld mode with the Nintendo Switch dock.
- The Switch has a Virtual Console service, which lets you play games from old systems on the system. The Wii is available on the service, so you can play Wii games on your Switch.
- You can play Wii games online if they’re compatible with Nintendo’s network infrastructure. If a game is region-locked, it can be played only on a console from that region and not via an internet connection.
- Certain games are not playable on the Switch at all, such as Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Super Smash Bros: Brawl (example). If a game is region-locked, it may be playable only on a console from that region and not via an internet connection.
- Some Wii games are compatible with the Wii U version of the game but not with the Switch versions of the game! Some games also have different controls for each version: You can also use the Switch TV to connect your Wii Remote and Wii Classic Controller.
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using a Nintendo Account, but you’ll need access to a PC or Mac computer.
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using a Nintendo Network ID, which is an account that you can set up on the console itself.
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using an SD card, but you’ll need to buy one first.
- You can play Wii games on the Switch using a USB cable, but you’ll need to buy one first and make sure it supports USB 2.0 or 3.0 and is at least 2 meters long (6 feet)
Best Wii Games That Are Available On Nintendo Switch
1. Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 8 is one of the most popular racing games ever made. It was released for the Wii and is available on the Switch. The game features a variety of different modes, including a battle mode called Grand Prix, which lets you compete against other players online. The game also features an extensive single-player campaign that lets you play through all of the different courses and characters in a series of races. You can also play with up to four players locally, or use local wireless multiplayer if you have more than one Switch console.
2. Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario 3D World is another must-have for any Nintendo fans out there. It’s a wonderful platformer that can be played on the Wii U or Nintendo Switch (although it’s mostly played on the latter). The game lets you play as Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi across an array of different worlds as you try to stop Bowser from kidnapping Princess Peach. There is a single-player campaign called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It features new characters, new tracks, and new items. You can also play the game on your Switch in handheld mode.
3. Super Mario Bros
The Super Mario Bros. series is one of Nintendo’s most popular franchises. It’s a series of platform games that started off on the NES and has gone on to feature many different installments over the years, including Super Mario World for the SNES, Super Mario 64 for the N64, New Super Mario Bros U for the Wii U, New Super Luigi U for the Wii U, and now Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch. The original classic game is available on Switch as well as all other games in the series available through Nintendo’s Virtual Console service.
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is one of The Legend of Zelda’s best-known games ever es a number of different characters, including Mario and Luigi. This is one of the best racing games ever made.
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
The game features characters from Nintendo’s biggest franchises, including Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link from The Legend of Zelda series, Fox McCloud from the Starfox series, Samus Aran from Metroid Prime series, and Kirby from Kirby’s Dream Land. The game features a variety of different modes and more than 50 playable characters. If you like fighting games but aren’t into the competitive side of things, this is one for you!
If you’re a Wii owner, it’s worth trying to connect it to your Switch. You can play Wii games on the Switch with a Wii console and Wii Remote, and you can also use the Wii emulator on the Switch to access the Wii Virtual Console. Wii games are some of the most fun games ever made, and they’re well-suited to playing on the Switch. You can play them anywhere, anytime, and with any number of people. Whether you’re looking for party games or more nuanced