Nintendo’s Switch is the fastest-selling video game console of all time, and it’s not just because of its hybrid design that lets you play games on the go. It’s also because of the excellent library of games available to it. Some of the best titles are only playable with a controller, which means buying one of Nintendo’s official controllers is practically a necessity if you want to get the most out of your Switch. And yes, there are two different official controllers for the Switch: The pro version and the standard version. Here’s what you need to know about choosing between them, as well as whether they’re worth the price or not.
Can You Use Wii Controller On The Switch?
The Wii U and Nintendo Switch feature two different types of controllers that are incompatible. If you would like to use a Wii U gamepad with a Nintendo Switch, you can connect the Wii U gamepad to your Switch using a Client Adaptor.
What’s The Difference Between The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller And The Nintendo Switch Standard Controller?
- The pro controller has a few extra features that make it worth buying for anyone playing games on the Switch. It has two additional shoulder buttons (L and R), which makes it easier to get some extra buttons (such as ZL/ZR) when playing games in handheld mode. It also has a home button on the right side, which you can use instead of pressing down on the screen to take screenshots or pause games while they’re running in handheld mode. This is particularly useful if you play with motion controls in your favorite game because it will allow you to pause your game without having to take your hands off the controller when using motion controls play.
- The pro controller also has a built-in speaker and a built-in rumble motor, which means it can be used as an external speaker without the need for an external speaker dock. The rumble motor is especially useful if you have headphones or speakers that don’t come with a mic, such as Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II headphones. It can be used to enhance the sound through your existing audio equipment by connecting the two controllers to them via a standard 3.5mm cable. The pro controller also has adjustable analog sticks and buttons (X, Y, B, A), which makes it more comfortable to use for long gaming sessions than the standard version’s fixed analog sticks and buttons (L/R).
- Both controllers are made of plastic, but the pro controller feels more solid and well-made than its cheaper counterpart. It has a metallic finish that gives it a premium look and feels, while keys that don’t have a built-in speaker, because having the rumble motor built-in means you can use the pro controller as an external speaker for those devices.
- Shoulder buttons are often seen as useless buttons on controllers, but they can come in handy when playing games in handheld mode. For example, many games (like “Super Mario Odyssey”) have motion controls that require you to press down on the screen to take a screenshot or pause a game while it’s running. If you’re playing in handheld mode, this means you have to take your hands off of the controller and press down on the screen with your thumb and index finger. Having shoulder buttons makes it easier to get more fingers onscreen without having to move your hands away from the controller while playing in handheld mode.
- Yes! It-calls that have built-in rumble, as it will allow you to feel the vibrations while playing a game that uses motion controls. This is particularly useful when playing games that require you to use analog sticks to control characters on the screen. The pro controller also has a USB Type-C connector, which means it can be used with any device that has a USB Type-C port, including smartphones and tablets.
- While most games are playable with either controller, some are more suited for one than the other. For example, Mario Kart is better suited for the standard controller because of its smaller size and ease of use in handheld mode. On the other hand, Super Smash Bros is better suited for the pro controller because of its size and ease of use in handheld mode. If you’re wondering which games are better suited for one controller or another, we recommend checking out our list of the best Nintendo Switch.
Should You Buy A Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?
- Both controllers come with a charging cable and a USB-C cable that can be used to charge the controller itself or connect it to your computer or TV via the USB-C port on the back of the Switch. You can also use this cable to charge a second controller if you want to play two players in handheld mode.
- The pro controller is more expensive than the standard one, but it comes with more features than its cheaper counterpart. It has more buttons, an extra speaker, and a rumble motor, as well as an adjustable thumbstick for motion control games such as Super Mario Run. It also works better with accessories that have microphones built-in (such as Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II headphones), which means you’ll have analog sticks, which means that you can play games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with a full 360-degree range of motion. The standard controller, on the other hand, only has adjustable analog sticks.
- The pro controller also has a built-in kickstand, which you can use to prop the controller up when playing games that require you to hold it in place while you play (such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate). You can also use it to prop up the screen of your Switch when playing in handheld mode. The standard controller doesn’t have a kickstand, so if you want to use it for the handheld mode you’ll need to put the Switch on a table or similar surface that supports the weight of your console and its screen.
- The pro controller is made out of premium materials, such as high-quality plastic and rubberized grips, whereas the standard one is made out of cheaper materials such as plastic and rubberized grips, but nobility for the analog sticks, which means you can set the tension of your analog sticks to your liking. The standard controller on the other hand has no such adjustability, so if you have large hands, this is something to consider.
- The pro controller has a built-in USB Type-C charging port and a USB Type-C cable in the box that you can use to charge your controller while it’s docked or playing games on the go. This means you won’t have to purchase an extra dock or cable just to charge your controller. The standard controller doesn’t come with either of these features, which means if you want them, you’ll need to purchase them separately.
Should You Buy A Nintendo Switch Standard Controller?
- You can adjust the height and angle of the analog sticks and the triggers as well as the tension of the analog sticks. This is useful if you have trouble reaching certain buttons on your current controller and want to get a closer grip on them, or if you want to adjust for different grip styles when playing games.
- The pro controller has a few extra buttons on it, including a guide button and an L/R trigger button (which is sometimes referred to as an L/R bumper). The guide button is frequently used in Nintendo games, but it’s not available in all games. If you use it in a game that doesn’t support it, you can still use your right thumb to press it down instead of having to reach over to your left hand and press down on the left shoulder button (L) with your thumb as most other controllers do. The L/R trigger button is useful for shooters such as Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which make it easier to play games with your hands in different positions. It has a trigger button that you can use to simulate the trigger buttons of a gun or sword if you’re playing a game that requires one. It also has two shoulder buttons and two ABXY buttons, which makes it easier to play certain games like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch by making it easy to get the A button on the left side of the controller (which is used for attacks) and the B button on the right side (used for jumps).
- The pro controller also includes a built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer, which means you can use it as an external motion sensor without needing an external motion sensor dock. This is especially useful if you have a smartphone that includes motion controls like Apple’s iPhone X or Samsung’s Galaxy Note 9 because you can use your phone as externality features that make it easier to play games in different positions. It can be rotated to a landscape position, which is especially useful if you want to play on the Switch’s tabletop mode (which is now supported by all controllers). Another popular use for this feature is playing the Switch on your lap, which makes it easier to stretch out and play with your hands in a relaxed position.
- The pro controller has many great features that make it worth buying, but it comes with one major drawback: Its price tag. The standard version of the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller costs $79.99, while in terms of how the buttons are arranged. Unlike the standard controller, it can be set to either a traditional layout or a more compact one that makes it easier to handle for smaller hands.
- The pro controller also has an analog stick, which is something that’s rarely found on controllers designed for gaming consoles. This means that you can use it with games that require an analog stick to play, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Monster Hunter World (if you’re playing online). You can also use the analog stick while playing with motion controls since the only thing you have to do is hold down on the left side of the control pad and your character will move accordingly.
The Final Verdict
Overall, the Nintendo Switch is a fantastic system, and the controllers that come with it are great, too. There’s not much difference between the two controllers, other than what they’re designed to do. If you’re not sure which one to get, the Pro controller is probably the better choice. That said, the standard controller is great in its own right, and it’s cheaper. If you’re not sure which one to get, it’s probably best to get the Pro controller. You can always rebuy the standard controller later if you decide you want the added features.