Everyone has their favorite character on a TV show. In some cases, that might be because that character is the most dynamic or the one with the most interesting story. In other cases, it’s simply because the character resonates with us more than any other. For some fans of “The Path”, that character is Pax. He’s the one most people seem to relate to and sympathize with. The show clearly agrees as they have given him almost no screen time for several episodes now, only bringing him back when there was something important for his arc to be about. Pax has always been the underdog in this story of religious cultism and family betrayal – but what if he isn’t an underdog? Pax Prentiss did die during his journey of self-discovery? Let’s investigate how things look right now.
Did Pax Prentiss Die?
At the end of episode 3, ‘Hell is Empty, Max and Chloe are about to depart for Seattle with Mr. Jefferson. Before they leave, we see a figure walking down the train platform. This figure turns around to reveal itself as Pax Prentiss. He then proceeds to walk into the train and disappear from view.
What Happened About Prentiss Die?
Rumors About the Cause of His Death
Many people have said that Pax killed himself because he was heartbroken over a failed love affair. There are even rumors that he committed suicide over his wife, Sara Moxley’s, alleged affair with Stephen King. Others have speculated that Pax succumbed to alcoholism and died from alcohol poisoning. In fact, these rumors seem to stem from the fact that Pax’s death was a mystery for many years and the official cause of death was alcohol poisoning. The official cause of death was actually alcohol intoxication. It’s unclear how the rumors got started, but you can find all sorts of stories online if you search “Pax Prentiss death”.
Pax didn’t die and we just don’t know it yet
There are actually two ways this could play out. The first is simply that we don’t know yet that Pax didn’t die. While it would be a major plot twist if he actually died, that doesn’t mean that he didn’t survive the ordeal. One thing that makes this possible is the fact that the show has been doing an excellent job of keeping us in the dark about all things related to the Path. This is especially true where Pax is concerned. He has been missing from the show for several episodes now, and the last time we saw him he was in a very dangerous situation. It’s not impossible that he is still out there and recovering from his injuries.
Pax did die and he was replaced with a body double
This is where things get even more interesting. In the story, the Path is all about finding your authentic self and shedding the layers of society and culture that weigh you down. The idea is that you strip away all the layers of your identity until you get to the core of who you are. There are several layers to this story, and one of them is the idea that the characters are doubles for each other. “The Path” is about people finding themselves and overcoming the obstacles of life to become the person that they were meant to be. In order to do that, they need to shed the layers of who they think they are and find their true selves.
What Does This Mean For The Show?
- The fact that the question of whether or not Pax survived is still up in the air even after eight episodes is a big hint as to where this story might be going. It could mean that the writers have no intention of answering it.
- It could also mean that they are setting up a huge twist where they reveal that the boy we have been following is not the real Pax. Pax has been the character that most people relate to and sympathize with.
- He has been the underdog in the story of religious cultism and family betrayal that forms the core of this show. If his death turns out to be a fake-out, it will be a major plot twist that will completely change the course of the story.
How Could This Scenario Play Out?
- If it turns out that the real Pax has indeed died, the only explanation is that he was replaced with a body double.
- We have seen this happen before in the show. It happened to the original prophet of the Path, and it was implied that it happened to his son as well.
- In both cases, the characters we saw die were actually replaced with doubles who made the sacrifice in their place. There is no reason that this couldn’t happen again.
What’s The Theory Behind This Belief?
- The theory behind Pax’s death is that he was actually supposed to kill Spencer and Caleb in the forest. But then he changed his mind at the last minute and gave the knife to one of the Liars instead of killing Caleb.
- That’s why he got killed instead. This theory actually makes a lot of sense, and many fans have pointed out that it is the only logical conclusion.
What We Know For Certain About Pax’s Death?
- One thing that’s certain is that Pax didn’t kill himself. First off, Pax’s blood alcohol level was extremely high, but it only takes a blood alcohol level of 0.3% to die. It’s true that someone with a blood alcohol level of 0.40% would be extremely intoxicated, but they wouldn’t actually die until about 12 hours later.
- Pax was found dead on January 1, 1999, so he must have been dead for at least a day. There’s also absolutely no evidence that Pax was heartbroken over a failed love affair. In fact, several of his friends said he was happily married.
- Pax also didn’t commit murder-suicide after killing his wife and unborn child. Pax’s wife, Sara, was six months pregnant when he died, and she was also found dead in bed on New Year’s Day.
Why Would The Writers Do This?
- With so much evidence pointing toward the fact that Pax is actually dead, the question then becomes: Why would the writers do this? There are a couple of reasons why the writers may have decided to kill off Pax.
- First, it would give the Liars another reason to be upset. All of the Liars have been dealing with a lot recently. Hanna was almost killed by “A” again, Alison has been dealing with being pregnant and the loss of her husband and Spencer has been struggling with being in a relationship with a teacher.
- This would give these characters one more thing to be upset about and deal with, which is something that the writers often like to do. Another reason that the writers may have killed off Pax is that they want to make Spencer and Caleb seem even more like heroes. If the writers killed off Pax, this would make Spencer and Caleb the heroes of the show.
It looks like the question of whether or not Pax survived his journey of self-discovery is not yet settled. This leaves us with two possibilities going into the final two episodes: either he didn’t die That said, the fact that this story arc has been mostly absent from the show for several episodes now is a big hint that something big is brewing. It looks like the writers are setting up a major twist that will change the course of the story for the final two episodes of Season 3. What that twist will remain a mystery for now, but it’s sure to be a doozy.