When you think of cherry cabinets, the first thing that probably comes to mind is dark and heavy. This classic finish has a reputation for being dramatic and masculine, which means it’s not exactly what comes to mind when thinking about lightening up a kitchen. However, with the right approach, cherry cabinets can be quite the opposite — they can add an elegant touch of warmth and inject some life into your space. They are also a fantastic alternative if you’re on a budget but don’t want to give up all the warmth of wood. Lighting up your kitchen with cherry cabinets starts by knowing how you want it to feel. That way you can choose the right design elements and select paint colors accordingly so that when everything comes together, you have just what you need for the look you want!
How To Lighten Up A Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Select the Right Cabinets
Cherry cabinets are usually dark, but this is not always the case. The key is to find the right ones for your style. The most important factor is the wood species — particularly whether it’s hardwood or softwood. If you go with softwoods — like fir, pine, or spruce — you’ll get a much lighter shade. This is a good choice if you’re looking for a light cherry finish. If you go with hardwood like oak, maple, or walnut, you’ll get a much darker finish. This is a better choice if you’re looking for something dramatic. There are also other factors that can affect the color of your cabinets, such as whether they are unfinished or pre-finished, and whether they have a stain or a paint finish.
Choose Light Tones for Walls
When choosing the color of your wall, you don’t want it to compete with your cabinets, so select a lighter shade. If you select a darker hue, it will likely create a visually heavy space with your cabinets looking even darker than they already are. For example, if you go with pale sand or butter yellow, you’ll create a warm and inviting atmosphere that will reflect off your lighter cabinets, making them appear brighter. Or, if you like the idea of pairing paint colors with finishes, a greyish blue or a light grey would also make a great pairing.
Go With White or Clear Counters
If your cabinets are dark, you’ll want to use white or clear counters to lighten up the space. Selecting dark-stained counters will make the room feel even darker and heavier, which is the exact opposite of what you want! White is the obvious choice, but if you’re looking for something with a more interesting look, clear can be a great alternative. With clear counters, you can let your lighter wall color shine through. If you want to add some extra pizzazz or want to tie your counters into your cabinets, you can also select a colored countertop.
Add Soft Lighting
Cherry cabinets are warm and inviting, but they can also be dark. If you want to up the brightness in your space, one simple way is by adding soft lights. They will add light to your space and can be done with various forms of lighting such as sconces, pendants, or track lighting. You can also use light-colored curtains over the windows to make your room seem brighter. Using light-colored curtains on a dark wall can help soften the visual impact of the wall color and make your kitchen feel lighter and more open. If you have a large window, you can also add a sheer panel to make your space seem brighter and larger.
Incorporate Darker Tones Where It Counts
Now that you’ve gone with lighter tones on your walls and counters, how do you make your darker cherry cabinets stand out? One way is to use contrasting colors as an accent. If your walls are light, you can use darker accents to add interest. If your walls are dark, you can use lighter accents to provide a visual break from the wall color. There are lots of ways you can use accents to lighten up your dark cabinets. You can use decorative items, like vases or decorative plates. You can also use decorative shelves or knick-knacks. You can also use bolder paint colors to bring attention to certain walls in your space. If you’re looking to blend your kitchen with your dining room, for example, you can use the cabinets in your kitchen to blend the two rooms. Paint the wall behind your kitchen cabinets a bold color, and then add some decorative molding. Your wall will stand out while adding a decorative touch to your cabinets.
How To Choose A Cabinet For Your Kitchen?
- First of all, you need to consider how much space you have in your kitchen. If you have a small kitchen, you need to choose cabinets that won’t take up too much space. Make sure that the width and depth of the cupboard will fit your space.
- Next, choose a material for your cabinet doors. You can use solid wood doors for the bottom and drawers whereas you can use particleboard doors for the upper cupboards to save some money.
- You can also choose the style of the cabinet according to your budget and taste. These days there are many different designs available in the market but if you want something unique then go ahead with it!
- The last thing that is important is how they will look in your kitchen as well as how they will perform their purpose in it! So think about this before buying! Your cabinet should be made from quality materials so ensure that it will stand strong against rusting or staining over time! Also, ensure that it is well-made so that it does not break easily!
- You can also get cabinet sets from different brands to make your kitchen look more organized and beautiful!
How to keep your cabinets clean?
- Cabinets are made of different types of materials for different purposes. If you want to keep your cabinets clean, then you need to use suitable products for cleaning them. When you wash the cupboard doors, then do not use any harsh chemicals or soaps as they might damage them. So instead of washing with soaps, you can use a mild soap that won’t damage the product, like dishwashing liquid or hand soap.
- You can also use some dry kitchen rags instead of wet ones as they don’t leave any residue or marks on the cabinet after cleaning and drying them!
- If you don’t want your cupboards to look old and worn out then make sure that you regularly wipe away the dust and grime on them so that they look new again!
Cherry cabinets are an elegant and classic option that is great for bringing warmth to your space. You can lighten them up by selecting lighter tones in your walls and counters, and by adding soft lights and decorative accents. If you want to lighten up your kitchen with cherry cabinets, start by choosing the right cabinets and selecting lighter tones. Then, add soft lighting and decorative accents to bring attention to your cabinets. Now that you know how to lighten up a kitchen with cherry cabinets, get started on your design today!