Silencers are often associated with stealthy assassins, but they actually have a much more wholesome use. They’re essential for keeping the noise level of your gun down, so you don’t annoy your neighbors or get thrown out of your apartment complex. Read on to learn more about how to make a silencer out of PVC pipe. If you live in an apartment with thin walls or other people that you don’t want hearing the constant ‘crack-crack-crack’ from your gun every time you shoot it, then a silencer is for you. In this post, we will teach you everything you need to know about making a silencer out of PVC pipe.
How To Make A Silencer Out Of Pvc Pipe
- Materials You will need A roll of PVC pipe, a drill with a bit that is the same diameter as your PVC pipe, a tape measure, and a pencil.
- Cut the Pipe With the drill and bit, cut straight through the roll of PVC pipe. Leave about an inch or two extra to allow for future adjustments.
- Tape Measure Mark out where you want your silencer to sit on your gun and mark it on the PVC pipe with a piece of the tape measure. Make sure you measure from one end to the other so that you get an accurate measurement of how much space you need to leave around your silencer or how much material needs to be removed from one end of the pipe so that it fits comfortably in your gun.
- Drill Through The Pipe Use the tape measure as a guide and drill through both ends of the PVC pipe with your drill and bit (don’t forget to adjust for future adjustments!).
- Remove Material Once you have drilled through both ends of the pipe, remove all material from one end until you are left with just enough room for your silencer or another part on your gun (or until it fits snugly into whatever cylinder/carrier/barrel/etc.,) that is attached to it. If there is too much material left over after removing all material from one end of the pipe, then use sandpaper or something like that to smooth out any rough edges on one side or both sides of where you have removed the material.
- Final Adjustments Make adjustments to the end of your silencer until it fits snugly into the barrel of your gun. You may need to sand down any rough edges or use a file or other sharp object to smooth out any rough edges on one side or both sides of where you have removed the material.
What Is A Silencer?
- A silencer is a device that reduces the noise of a firearm, making it quieter than it otherwise would be.
- It’s used not only on guns but on paintball markers and airsoft rifles as well.
- It’s made from metal or plastic and attaches to the end of your gun with a screw or bolt.
- The sound of a gun is reduced by about 60%.
- With a silencer, you can fire your firearm at night without bothering your neighbors or being asked to leave the range by the manager or owner of the range.
Materials Needed To Make A Silencer Out Of Pvc Pipe
- PVC pipe. The diameter of the pipe is up to you, as long as it fits into your gun. You can find PVC pipes in hardware and building supply stores, but you can also buy them online. I used a 5-foot length of 3/4 inch diameter PVC pipe for the silencer in this tutorial.
- Pipe clamps. Pipe clamps are used to hold the PVC pipe together before you cut it and then again to hold the silencer together after you’re done cutting it.
- Drill. A standard household drill will work for this project, but if you have an electric one, then that’s even better!
- Duct tape. Duct tape has many uses in life, but for this project, we will be using it to hold the PVC pipe together while we cut it.
- Sandpaper or sanding block (optional). If your PVC pipe is rough and has rough edges, then sandpaper or a sanding block will be necessary to smooth out those rough edges so they fit neatly into your gun’s barrel without cutting into it.
- Measuring tape or ruler (optional). If your PVC pipes are all different sizes, then a measuring tape or ruler will help you get them all cut evenly and onto your same-size piece of duct tape without any mistakes.
- Scissors (optional). If you want to make sure that each piece of duct tape wraps around your gun barrel perfectly, then scissors would be good for that.
- Gun barrel. If your gun is a pistol or a rifle, then you will need to use the barrel of the gun to make your silencer. If your gun is a shotgun, then you can just use the front end of the barrel and not worry about using the barrel itself.
- Tape measure (optional). If you want to make sure that each piece of duct tape wraps around your gun barrel perfectly, then measuring tape will come in handy.
- Vice (optional). A vice is used to hold up one end of the PVC pipe while you cut it with a hacksaw or other cutting tool.
- Drill bits (optional). You can get these at hardware stores, but it’s also possible to find them online if hardware stores aren’t available near you.
- Sandpaper or sanding block (optional). If your PVC pipes are rough and have rough edges, then sandpaper or a sanding block will be necessary to smooth out those rough edges, so they fit neatly into your gun’s barrel without cutting into it.
Pros And Cons Of Using Pvc Pipes For A Silencer
- It is a very cost-effective option.
- PVC pipes are commonly available in most hardware stores, and most of them are less than $10 each.
- You can make it in a few minutes without the use of any tools, making it easy to create one whenever you need one.
- It is also easily reusable because the pipe itself can be recycled at most waste disposal centers after you are done with it.
- It can be used for other purposes aside from silencers, such as building a water pipe for your garden or even building your own ‘water chiller’ to cool off your server room during hot summers!
- It’s very durable and light, so you won’t have to worry about it breaking on you if you use it to build your own silencer.
- PVC pipes have an outstanding insulation property that will help keep the noise level down even when the gun is fired repeatedly or at high velocities.
- The sound will still be heard by anyone within several feet of where the gun is being fired because there is no air between the shot and those nearby.
- This makes silencers ideal for close-range target shooting.
- To make sure that your neighbors aren’t disturbed by your loud ‘crack-crack’ noises from shooting with a silencer, simply place some cotton or other soft material between yourself and the gun.
Silencers are often associated with stealthy assassins, but they actually have a much more wholesome use. They’re essential for keeping the noise level of your gun down, so you don’t annoy your neighbors or get thrown out of your apartment complex. When choosing what type of silencer to build, keep in mind that the shorter the silencer, the less effective it will be. If you want to make sure that you’re not annoying your neighbors, you’ll want to make sure your silencer is as long as possible so that it can reduce the noise level as much as possible. Silencers are helpful when you live in an area where shooting guns is heavily regulated. They let you fire your gun at a lower decibel level while keeping your neighbors from complaining about the noise.